The Pine Rivers District RSL Sub Branch was formed and received its charter on the 28th October 1945, approx. 10 weeks after the end of WWII. The first President of the Sub Branch, Mr Tom Gorringe, a WWII veteran, met with 22 members in the School of Arts Hall at Petrie where they stayed until 1954. The opening and formation of the Pine, Petrie and District Sub Branch was made possible with the support of the Qld State Branch and Nundah, Northgate, and Toombul Sub Branch.
Among the first members were Tom Gorringe (Pres), Paul Houghton (Snr Vice), Ernie Day (Sec), Jack Stafford, Ivor Hansen (Treas), Alf Stephenson, John Crouch, Wallace Young and the Rev Ballard. Unfortunately, none of the early records are available due to the fact that they were burnt in a house fire; no office space in those days. The Women’s Auxiliary was formed in 1950.
The Pine Rivers Memorial Gates were established in 1924 with the assistance of donations from the people of Pine Rivers Shire. The gates were originally situated at the entrance to the Lawnton Showgrounds. Unfortunately they fell into disrepair and in fact at one time were featured in a publication of the most neglected Memorials published by the Aust. War Museum.
In 1984, the Sub Branch started negotiating with the Pine Rivers Shire Council and the Lawnton Show Society to have the gates moved to the Sub Branch’s location where they would be looked after. These negotiations were successful and the gates were relocated to their present site in 1985, completely refurbished and rededicated on Remembrance Day 1985. The gates still belong to the people of Pine Rivers Shire and are held in trust by the Pine Rivers District RSL Sub Branch.
Between 1984 and 2004 the Sub Branch has erected various memorials in the memorial gardens being Navy, Vietnam Veterans, RAAF, American Forces who served in Strathpine area in WWII, memorials walls to our own deceased members, club deceased members, Aust.
Light Horse, Korea, Women’s Wall for both service and civilians and Peacekeepers.In 2004 it was decided by the Sub Branch to renovate these gardens and to incorporate all these memorials into one. After six months of volunteer work and some donations of approx. $650,000 this was achieved. On the 2nd April 2005, the Minister for Veteran Affairs Ms Deanne Kelly officially unveiled and named the gardens, ”The Pine Rivers District RSL Sub Branch Memorial Gardens”.